Victory Congressional Internship
The Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute's Victory Congressional Internship and Victory Congressional Fellowship are developing the next generation of out public leaders. Each semester, the Victory Congressional Internship brings outstanding LGBT college students to Washington, D.C., for an intensive leadership program, including:
- A semester-long Congressional internship with a member of the LGBT Equality Caucus or a LGBT-friendly member of U.S. Congress to learn firsthand about the federal legislative process
- An educational and leadership development program to learn about the legislative process and careers in the policy-making process
- A community service project
In December, students will attend the Victory Institute's annual international conference for three days of training, skills building, networking and discussion alongside hundreds of openly LGBT leaders in government, politics, advocacy, business and community organizations.
The Victory Congressional Internship will prepare young LGBT people to become informed decision-makers and influential leaders who can change their communities and our world.
2014 Application Dates
- Summer: Deadline Monday, February 17, 2014
- Fall: Deadline Monday, May 5, 2014
>> Sign up to receive an email announcement when a future semester's application becomes available.
2014 Program Dates
- Spring: January 29 - April 19 (12 weeks), 4 students
- Summer: May 28 - July 26, (8 weeks), 8 students
- Fall: August 27 - November 22, (12 weeks), 4 students
- LGBT Leaders 2014 conference: TBA.
>> Meet the 2011 Summer Victory Congressional Interns
>> Meet the 2012 Spring Victory Congressional Interns
>> Meet the 2012 Summer Victory Congressional Interns
>> Meet the 2012 Fall Victory Congressional Interns
>> Meet the 2013 Spring Victory Congressional Interns
>> Meet the 2013 Summer Victory Congressional Interns
Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi recognizes Victory Congressional Interns at Capitol Pride celebration, June 2012.
- Housing accommodations in downtown DC,
- Stipend to cover other living expenses in DC ($1,000 in Summer, $1,500 in Spring/Fall),
- Airfare or other transportation to and from Washington, DC, at the beginning and end of the program,
- Academic credit for the summer internship (depending on each participant's college or university), and
- Airfare, hotel and conference fees for the the Victory Institute's International LGBT Leadership Conference in December.
The Victory Congressional Internship is open to undergraduate students of all genders, orientations, abilities, races, and political affiliations. All applicants must meet the following criteria to satisfy the Victory Institute and congressional requirements:
- U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident or permit to work in the U.S. (Foreign students with F-1 visas are not eligible)
- 18 years of age before the day of arrival in Washington, D.C.
- Currently enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program, will have completed at least one year by the beginning of the program; summer program participants must have at least one full semester remaining after the program has completed (i.e., students graduating prior to or during the course of the summer program are not eligible); spring and fall program participants must not graduate prior to the end of the program
- Applicants need not be pursuing majors in social sciences
- Active participation in public and/or community service activities
The Victory Congressional Internship is made possible with the generous support of: